How do i green a lease?
Green leasing practices (also called “energy-aligned” or “high-performance” leases) allow tenants and landlords to collaborate and save energy, reduce costs, and achieve organizational sustainability goals. This collection of green leasing resources provides useful guidance for anyone looking to implement green leases in their portfolios.
Tenant energy efficiency is key for driving down energy use in buildings. Learn how three industry-leading programs—Green Lease Leaders, Urban Land Institute’s Tenant Energy Optimization Program (TEOP), and ENERGY STAR Tenant Space, together can guide building owners in optimizing energy savings in the rapidly changing work environment.
Access recording slides here.
There are noteworthy benefits that landlords are able to reap by investing in submeters for their tenant spaces. IMT’s research identified the following top five benefits.
Build-out or tenant improvement offers great opportunities to improve the energy efficiency of your space. A few simple decisions can help to reduce your occupancy costs and ensure a healthy environment for your employees.
More Helpful Resources
- Institute for Market Transformation (IMT): Landlord-Tenant Energy Assessment
- Institute for Market Transformation (IMT): Landlord-Tenant Energy Partnership Efficiency Toolkit
- Institute for Market Transformation (IMT): Industry Insights: What Retailers Need to Unleash Energy Efficiency and Sustainability Success
- Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) Webinar: Putting Green Leases Into Action
- Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI): Best Practices for Leasing Net-Zero Energy Buildings
- BOMA International: Green Lease Guide
- Better Buildings Partnership: Leasing Lifecycle Tool
- Better Buildings Partnership: U.K. Green Leasing Toolkit
- Better Buildings Alliance: 10 Green Leasing Tips for Building Owners
- Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC): Energy Efficiency Lease Guide
- General Services Administration: Green Leasing Policies and Procedures
- Seventhwave: High-Performance Multi-Tenant Buildings
- DOE Building Technologies Webinar: Tools and Best Practices for Implementing Green Leasing
- CMS Expert Guide to Green Lease Law and Regulation in Europe
- German Market Toolkit: Green Lease Agreements